is

Search This Blog

Friday, October 6, 2017

To infinity and beyond


Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Philippians 3:12 (NKJV)

In the movie Toy Story, Buzz Lightyear made famous the saying, “To infinity and beyond,” which is a paradox since there can be no “beyond” if there is infinity.  However, that catch-phrase popped into my head during a sermon when the speaker referred to the truth that none of us have arrived to perfection. True!  We won’t until we have reached “infinity and beyond” – heaven!

Nevertheless, I find it amazing that so many Christians believe that they have arrived.  They believe they have reached some destination of perfection that is usually better than most of their peers.  It really astounds me when I see this attitude appear in my preacher brethren and scares me when it appears in me.   Layman or clergy, you can be assured that the "I-have-arrived-syndrome" is a telltale sign of a coming fall (Proverbs 16:18 and 1 Corinthians 10:12).

Every morning we should awake with the keen awareness that we have much to learn and that this is a journey that only ends in heaven.  As Buzz Lightyear says, “To infinity and beyond!”

Check out this blog "Warning! Dangerous Curve!"